Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language)
- Starts On
- July 01, 2018
- Finishes On
- September 30, 2018
- Last Activity
- July 13, 2018
July 13, 2018
Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language) — at July 13, 2018 17:49 UTC
Started with implementing the radix sort algorithm. Learnt about some more functions in Chapel. We got some feedback on our first PR, and are planning to make the necessary changes and again submit it for review. Also, hoping to complete the radix sort algorithm as soon as possible.
Had our weekly call with our supervisor, and discussed and cleared a few doubts about attending conferences. Later, both of us discussed about the list of conferences we could possibly attend.
July 12, 2018
Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language) — at July 12, 2018 20:10 UTC
We were confused about how to submit the documentation for the BigInt module, for review. And it took a little time, to understand how exactly, the chapel documentation is to be made using the chpl docs tool. Thanks to our mentor and coaches, for helping out and pointing us in the right direction. Also, learnt a thing or two about making pull requests and git. Finally, submitted a pull request for our first task. Now that we are clear with the pipeline of how things work, we'll be adding the documentation for other functions shortly.
And now comes the second task, of writing a basic radix sort. After a bit of reading about it from here and there, watching a few videos, regarding that, finally, we are in a position to begin coding.
Hoping to get things done soon,
Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language) — at July 12, 2018 19:58 UTC
- Read a little about radix sort, to begin our second task.
- Documented a few other functions for the BigInt Module.
- Also went further in the parallel programming course on coursera. - Completed Week 1.
Things To Do:
- A basic version of radix sort to be implemented.
- Reading the paper Engineering Radix sort.
July 10, 2018
Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language) — at July 10, 2018 18:12 UTC
After our second call with our coaches and mentors, we have been assigned another task of implementing a radix sort, in Chapel. Hopefully, we will get it done in time. Meanwhile, for our first assignment, we tried to learn a few functions of the BigInt module by trying them out, reading up the documentation and finally, penning down whatever we learnt till now. We hope our gradual pace, and problems that we face, will help us be better learners.
- Learnt about functions from the bigint module in chapel.
Things To Do!
- Reading the paper Engineering Radix sort.
- Reading about parallel and distributed computing , and shared memory.
- Making a PR for our first task.
- Getting started with the implementation of radix sort.
Hoping to learn some more,
Team Sectumsempra :D
July 09, 2018
Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language) — at July 9, 2018 17:42 UTC
Things achieved today
Submitted our very first blog post! In this we have shared our experience after the application process was over, and how amazed we were to finally get onboard! Also talked a little bit about ourselves and our team for this summer.
The last two days as well as today, have gone rather quickly, learning about various functions of the bigint module in Chapel, while documenting them.
We learned about the usage of a variety of functions like, divexact(), divisble_p(), fac(), fib(), tstbit(), clrbit(), setbit(), scan0(), scan1(), and many more such functions, a huge list! :P
Things to do
- Some other functions remain, which we aim to complete by tomorrow, before our second call with our mentor and coaches! Hopefully, we will get done in time.
- Delve a bit further into the world of parallel programming.
Hoping to learn some more until next time,
July 06, 2018
Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language) — at July 6, 2018 18:14 UTC
Today we had our first official call with our supervisor, mentor, and coaches. We were assigned our first task of documentation of BigInt functions in Chapel. We feel it would be a great way to get started with Chapel. Let’s figure out, how much we can learn through it.
Things to do!
- Documenting BigInt functions in Chapel
- Finish with the Week 1 of the Parallel Programming coursera course which would help us grasp the basics.
Looking forward to lots of learning during the weekend,
July 04, 2018
Team Sectumsempra (Chapel Parallel Programming Language) — at July 4, 2018 02:23 UTC
Forgot about the status updates till we saw the reminder email :P . Hence doing the needful two days later.
We had a great start to the first day with the kick off call by the organizers. Both of us are extremely excited and looking forward to an amazing summer with Chapel and RGSoc. Its a great feeling of pride.
Things we did
- Started off the week by planning how we would go about working together during the entire summer.
- Learned about basic markdown for status updates and creating readme.md files on GitHub.
- Started reading the Chapel documentation, for the project we are working on.
- Started learning the basics of parallel programming from coursera , which we think would help us during the course of the project. Link: Parallel Programming
- Scheduling a call with the supervisors and mentors to discuss exact goals and expectations of for the summer.
- Set up a task and a deadline for the first week, after we have a discussion with the supervisors and mentors.
- Learn Chapel proficiently as we proceed along the way.
Looking forward to a great summer,