Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo)
- Starts On
- July 01, 2018
- Finishes On
- September 30, 2018
- Last Activity
- August 15, 2018
August 15, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 15, 2018 17:15 UTC
Happy Independence Day from India 🇮🇳
- The PR which were solving yesterday got reviewed.
- We updated the PR and it got merged too. Yay :D
- We were able to compile our code on Janitor today, finally! There were problems related to outdated containers which had some missing libraries.
- Got some hack with the help of community to finally figure this out. Happy moment :)
- Will start again with solving the timing tests problem!
August 14, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 14, 2018 15:06 UTC
Today, we were working to update one of the PRs which got blocked due to external reasons some time back.
- But we had a hard time dealing with merge conflicts.
- I (Nupur) decided to start using Janitor which will help in running code remotely, because my laptop has become too slow and takes more than an hour for every build which is ideally a 5-10 min task!
- Janitor is giving more trouble. It was repeatedly showing the low disk space error. We deleted the earlier builds and tried rebuilding, but it is stuck on another weird error now. Next task is to talk to the Janitor community and ask more questions :P
- We are hoping we can solve this task soon and get back to the debugging work....
August 13, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 13, 2018 06:57 UTC
A fresh week has started -
We are still debugging and also found out the problem because of which it is failing. But we don't know how this can be resolved. There is some problem in the addcachelistenerforelement function in which the image is being fetched. The response of the image that we are getting is null. So we need to see that why we are not getting a response for the image which we should have received otherwise.
We will again talk to Josh regarding this soon.
August 10, 2018
August 09, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 9, 2018 17:06 UTC
Another debug day
We got to know the reason for the timeout of our tests but still there is some unexpected behaviour in some part of the code. Which otherwise should not have happened.
We are now trying to replicate the unexpected behaviour in the form of a smaller test.
Debugging is a tough thing :P
August 08, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 8, 2018 17:33 UTC
Tough day for us...!
- We continued with debugging our code.
- We discussed the issue with our mentor, and got clarity about what each of the tests are trying to do.
- We backtracked through our code and went about inserting a large number of print statements.
We think we are almost there and understand the reason of timeout. But we are still figuring out how to correct it !
August 07, 2018
August 06, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 6, 2018 14:46 UTC
We were working with the tests which were showing TIMEOUT / FAIL
- Made some changes to the function which produces currentSrc. The implementation had some bugs which we corrected.
We will put up a PR for this once the previous PR on react to env changes gets merged :)
- We were able to reduce failing tests from 18 to 4, still figuring out the tests timing out.
- We will have our weekly call with our supervisor Rakhi today :P
August 03, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 3, 2018 04:35 UTC
Yesterday we made all the suggested changes. A x-mixed-replace type check took a lot of time as it was a bit confusing. Tests now produced different results than what they used to earlier, an accomplishment :P Yay (Though 2 new tests have started failing rather than passing)
We already have around 57 comments on our PR.
We are waiting for a review, probably we'd be getting more suggestions yet again. We plan to complete the algorithm by today.
August 02, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 2, 2018 04:50 UTC
We made all the suggested changes in the PR yesterday. We have received some more suggestions, will look into those and complete the algorithm today. We will also run some already written tests to check what impact the algorithm has created on those, how many new test cases are passing and how many older test cases are failing.
August 01, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at August 1, 2018 03:58 UTC
Yesterday we were stuck on a error related to closures.
We kept on working on the review comments that we received. Seems that many more bits and pieces of the algorithm need to be implemented.
Today we will try to finish all the requested changes and push them.
July 31, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 31, 2018 03:08 UTC
Yesterday was a very hectic day.
- We submitted a PR for reacting to environment changes.
- We waited for the PR review.
- We had our weekly call with Rakhi.
- We both shifted to hostel. (This was the most hectic thing :P)
- Today we will make changes according to the review comments on our PR.
July 27, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 27, 2018 16:57 UTC
We had quite an informative discussion with our mentor today.
- We talked about how the API for image cache works and the various kinds of responses it sends.
- We also talked about how can we implement the code to check for relevant mutations in our code.
We corrected some other compile errors in our code too....!
We are buckled up to deep dive into our algorithm and bring it to completion soon :D
July 26, 2018
July 25, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 25, 2018 17:52 UTC
-Today we continued working on the react to environment changes algorithm.
-The algorithm is pretty long and makes use of several synchronous and asynchronous tasks. The tasks mentioned under the sync section are almost complete!
-We had a number of doubts regarding how to integrate the two categories of tasks and also in some steps of the algorithm.
We got them cleared and will try taking them up tomorrow.
We learnt how passing self between threads is unsafe but passing this is thread safe and how passing DOMString values are not allowed within closures but Strings are.
-Out of the 3 subtests that we were building, 2 have been complete. But the third one has been showing undesirable results.
Our mentor has suggested some good references to learn how to operate debugger from terminal.
We are feeling booked this week with a number of new things to learn :)
July 24, 2018
July 23, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 23, 2018 14:11 UTC
-We wrote tests for one of the algorithm, but there is some confusion related to those in the HTML spec.
-We thus learnt about using testharness.js for writing WPT tests. And also different types of synchronous and asynchronous tests.
-We have started the implementation of reacting to environment changes
-We also had our weekly call with Rakhi where we discussed about some more conferences we could pursue.
Once we receive more updates on what is to be done for those tests, we will proceed further. :)
July 20, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 20, 2018 18:16 UTC
Its weekend already :D
- We kept working on the errors that were coming up.
- We have put up a PR for step 5 of Updatetheimage data.
- Some tests for the PR failed. We have received some suggestions for it. Will look those up.
- We have finally submitted a list of conferences that we wish to attend to Rakhi :D
July 19, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 19, 2018 17:45 UTC
Best day today!!!
- We successfully updated all the errors :) Our PR for update source set and select image source got merged ❤
Our mentor appreciated our work and both of us celebrated :P
- We have also completed writing code for our next task, which selecting proper image source based on user agent's pixel density. We are still working to correct the failing tests for this algorithm.
- We also started looking at missing steps of yet another algorithm "update the image data". This is the second part of our next task :)
We are surely excited as one big task of ours has been completed 🎉
July 18, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 18, 2018 17:16 UTC
"Debugging day today"
- One of our PR's on parse-a-sizes got closed today, since its changes are being present in another PR which we are working on.
- We completed all the suggested changes and resubmitted our update-source-set PR :P It was given a heads up too!
But Auto-merge has raised new errors related to unwrapping of None values. We are working to correct them up now. Had some discussion with our mentor and another Servo member who helped with reviewing our pull requests.
- Also, started working on our next task which falls under the select-image-source algorithm.
- We are working to get our PR get landed soon :)
July 17, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 17, 2018 17:05 UTC
A great day today :)
- We had our weekly call with Rakhi today.
- We got the PR for our algorithm reviewed. We got appreciated for writing clean code :D It was easy for our mentor to understand our code and match the specification.
- But at the same time the tests that we had introduced for parseasizes are not going to be included anymore.
- We are working at the suggestions and changes requested.
- We'll look for some conferences to go to this week, click a picture :D
- Probably we'll start working on new functions which need to be completed.
July 16, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 16, 2018 16:47 UTC
This week started with testing and getting our work reviewed!
- We wrote unit tests for parse a sizes function and put up a PR.
- The PR got reviewed and we resubmitted after making suggested changes. But there was some clash of opinions about which members of a struct should be kept public and which private. We plan to update our code once we are clear on this.
- We also planned several kinds of tests that we can write for update source set.
- We put up a PR for the update source set algorithm and are waiting for reviews :)
July 13, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 13, 2018 17:10 UTC
We completed the "select image source" algorithm today!! Yayy :D
- But we troubled everyone with a number of doubts. The two mysterious errors "cannot move out of borrowed content" and "cannot mutably borrow field of immutable binding" were following us with each new method we tried. We felt we would do away with "cloning" our code but in the end, only that worked.
( where cloning implies creating a copy of the structure instead of working on the original copy :P )
- Paavini was able to reinstall the codebase, and compile the project successfully. Huh finally! 😅 She was totally troubled for 2 days! She also updated her codebase with all the work we have completed until now :)
- We are planning to start writing tests starting with the "parse sizes algorithm" which we had reimplemented this week. Cheers!
July 12, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 12, 2018 17:36 UTC
Today we started implementing the "select image source" algorithm. This algorithm calls as a function the algorithm which we just finished yesterday :P
- We realised we have many more functions and algorithms to implement before we can finally say to have completed the original algorithm implementation task.
- We learnt about using HashSets, which contains a HashMap with empty i.e. ( ) value. We tried implementing its different operations in our algorithm.
- The basic version of this algorithm is almost ready. We need to figure out some new borrow errors which have come up!
We are hopeful, we will be comfortable with borrows by the end of summers <3
- Paavini has been facing a different issue. Seems some of her files have been lost because she cleared some data because of low storage problem. She has deleted the target folder and is trying to build again.
July 11, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 11, 2018 16:57 UTC
"All's well that end's well"
- We were struggling with borrowing errors again today. But got them corrected after learning about DomRefCells! It allows us to mutate objects lying inside immutable bindings, magic :P
- With this we have completed the algorithm implementation. We have pushed the code to github and planning to get it reviewed tomorrow :D
- We will also start writing tests for it as the next step.
July 10, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 10, 2018 17:28 UTC
We did some good coding today :D
- Reimplemented the function which got updated in the latest servo commit and was creating trouble for us.
- Implemented a subpart of our algorithm which is called matching the environment. This step was unclear to us since 2 days, but we finally completed it after some help from our mentor.
- Our PR for the first task got merged today. Yay!!
We are only few steps closer to completing the update source set algorithm. Cheers ;)
July 09, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 9, 2018 16:55 UTC
The second week starts with a bang!!
- The implementation of update source set algorithm is half-way done. But there are so many new things to still understand... :)
- We learnt about Mime types, and the different supported values in browsers. We also implemented a function which would check for valid Mime types.
- The codebase of Servo was updated which affected one of the functions we were using. It created a number of new errors :( Josh has suggested us to re-implement that function and linked us to good resources.
- We had a call with our supervisor, who gave some good tips :P
She shared how interacting on IRC can help us in getting more career opportunities. Thank you Rakhi <3
July 07, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 7, 2018 16:45 UTC
A rest day after some days of work :D
- Today we submitted our blog post PR (finally :P)
- Read more about rust closures (Because of some error which said we cannot write continue inside a closure)
- Nupur is out for a short trip with some friends. (She left me alone 😭, just kidding! I am here with my parents who have come to visit me)
- We plan to study more about Rust during this weekend.
- I shared about the RGSoC kick off call on twitter 💖
July 06, 2018
July 05, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 5, 2018 16:51 UTC
We couldn't progress much today because of compilation errors.
- We continued with the implementation of our algorithm.
- We got confused about the initial step of our algorithm itself. But we have understood it now.
- Studied more about some Rust concepts.
July 04, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 4, 2018 15:59 UTC
- We studied about deref in Rust (https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/second-edition/ch15-02-deref.html). This is something completely new. We had been facing this issue in our code at many places.
- We have almost completed our blogs. Just some touchups remaining.
- We created our first PR today. Yayy :D
- We have started the implementation of our first algorithm, but we have facing a lot of problems due to the strictness of the Rust compiler. We are learning to deal with the errors that come up.
July 03, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 3, 2018 16:38 UTC
Today's day was filled with lots of activities :)
- We started writing our first RGSoC introductory blog. It is half way done and we plan to complete it by tomorrow.
- We wrote the code for our first task which is implementing getter setter using macros. It was expected to give some new passing tests. But our code didn't show any changes in passing tests, so we asked our coaches. We have decided to put up a Work In Progress PR and will also ask our mentor tomorrow.
- We also decided to understand the algorithm which is the second task of the week. We started learning about responsive images from the Mozilla MDN docs. They have explained the concept in great detail.
July 02, 2018
Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) — at July 2, 2018 16:49 UTC
This day ended with a start off call with our supervisor and then the whole RGSoC community.
- We brushed up our Rust skills.
- Completed the setup of the project. Was a hard time for Nupur due to some python version problems.
- Started with the first task
Implement the missing IDL attributes for HTMLSourceElement