Team Alexa (JoopeA Club) 
- Starts On
- July 01, 2017
- Finishes On
- September 30, 2017
- Last Activity
- September 28, 2017
We are a team of computational linguists/Python/Django developers from Moscow, Russia.
September 28, 2017
September 25, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at September 25, 2017 22:05 UTC
Today we've been trying to connect to test server, but had no luck due to access restrictions. We've contacted our mentor so that he would lift these restrictions. In the meantime we've been doing some bug fixing.
September 20, 2017
September 19, 2017
September 15, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at September 15, 2017 20:16 UTC
Yesterday and today most of the time we've been busy with writing our second blog post. We've sent a PR today, and can't wait to see it published! We've also had a call with our mentor today about our progress. For the rest of the day we've been working on the issues that we started working on this week: Docker and automatically changing user language to English, when user language is deactivated.
September 12, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at September 12, 2017 22:29 UTC
Today we've been working on the same things we've been working on yesterday: one of us was setting up the environment and documenting the process, while the other one was working on a function that automatically changes user language from any deactivated language to English. We've also started to work on our second blog post.
September 11, 2017
September 07, 2017
September 05, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at September 5, 2017 20:18 UTC
- set priorities for tasks
- started working on "Deactivated languages" issue
- all language-dependent entities (usernames, communities, etc) have to be hidden from frontend users. Today we worked on communities and pages.
September 04, 2017
September 01, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at September 1, 2017 23:10 UTC
One of us got sick, so we weren't very productive today. We've discussed and tried to fix the bug where admins and superusers cannot change their language through the main interface, only through admin panel. One of us has also attended Moscow Data Science Meetup today evening, where she listened to lectures on stochastic graphs in natural language processing and predicting time series. It's not particularly applicable to our project, but it was very interesting, and we think it's important to keep in touch with the local community.
August 31, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 31, 2017 00:09 UTC
Today we found and fixed the bug that wouldn't let users change their language from settings, so now they can change the language from the settings page.
We've also talked to our coach Kate about our middleware problem; tomorrow we'll try to implement the solution she suggested.
August 29, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 29, 2017 20:07 UTC
Yesterday we did not work, because Sasha's flight was postponed. But today we worked together and:
- repaired requests to the database in the middleware
- entered into an unequal battle with the database. It does not want to rewrite language from settings
- discussed our bugs with coach
And at the end of the photo from sunny Dagestan
August 25, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 25, 2017 22:13 UTC
Yesterday we agreed that we will not spend all of our time and efforts on middleware issue, so in these two days we've been working separately: Sasha (melanoya) was finishing the middleware, while Sasha (religofsil) added some new functionality, so now users are able not only to choose their language on registration, but to switch it in the settings whenever they want to.
August 23, 2017
August 22, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 22, 2017 22:05 UTC
We're getting better at working remotely – although we've spent yet another day on debugging, it feels like we've made some progress and were quite productive today. We hope to figure out our middleware issues tomorrow – we've been stuck on them for far too long now. Also tomorrow is the last warm day in Moscow, and then the autumn will probably come. But Sasha who is in Daghestan will probably enjoy the summer there next week.
August 21, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 21, 2017 22:52 UTC
One of us is in Daghestan, so we're working remotely again this week. We're still debugging our middleware, there's nothing new, unfortunately. But today one of us attended Moscow Python meetup, and learned how to make applications more secure, and we'd love to try it with our project.
August 18, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 18, 2017 05:26 UTC
In these two days we've:
- been working on our middleware – we are now in the middle of the debugging proccess
- had a bi-weekly call with all our team to discuss our progress and set up plans for the next week
- decided which conference we're going to attend
August 15, 2017
August 14, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 14, 2017 16:05 UTC
Today we made progress in debugging and finally figured out how to work on middlewares that switch language dynamically, so that the information about user language will update automatically and stay updated. We've also figured out a way to add new languages to project settings via admin panel.
August 12, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 12, 2017 00:39 UTC
Today one of us has finally returned to Moscow, so we are able to work side by side again instead of using Hangouts all the time.
We worked on security questions features today, and we'll continue working on notifications next week.
August 10, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 10, 2017 18:08 UTC
Today was a very hot and unproductive day...
We discussed a detailed plan for this month and worked on notifications and security questions features.
Tomorrow Sasha finally returns and we can work together again, not remotely. Working remotely is quite difficult.
August 09, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 9, 2017 16:11 UTC
- chatted with our coach and discussed local middleware and the issue
- still working on the same task
- began to work on a new issue for diversity - translate field for notification
P. S. We have good news. One of us has been accepted to university for a master's program. Hooray! 🎉 🎉 🎉
August 08, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 8, 2017 15:23 UTC
The sixth week began with the fact that one of us had broken everything while updating the system and we spent the whole day fixing it. Also yesterday one of us left to teach natural language processing to schoolchildren. So this whole week we will work remotely.
And today we worked all day on the features of dynamic language switching.
August 04, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 4, 2017 16:38 UTC
- put trello in order
- fixed bugs in the interaction of the language model with entities
- discussed with the coach our problem with dynamic language change
Hopefully, the next week will be more productive and we will finish this task 😎
August 03, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 3, 2017 22:39 UTC
Today (and yesterday) we've been busy updating our data model, so that it would be ready for this URL prefix feature we're about to add. We've also spent lots of time reading the documentation on the subject, because we don't yet completely understand what we're about to do. Hope we'll figure it out tomorrow.
August 01, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at August 1, 2017 15:48 UTC
- fixed the bug we created yesterday
- spent the rest of the day learning about the language prefix in URL patterns
Tomorrow we'll maybe meet with our coach to discuss URL patterns, it turns out to be a difficult topic that we're not sure how to deal with yet.
July 28, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 28, 2017 22:46 UTC
Yet another day was spent on trying to make the language change dynamically. The idea is that right now you can switch the language by manually correcting the URL of the page. Ideally, we would like the language to be completely independent from URL, but we cannot do it yet, so we're creating the button that changes the language along with the URL. After that, we'll figure out a way to make the language change without changing the URL.
We think it's what we'll be working on next week.
July 27, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 27, 2017 20:46 UTC
Hey! Now we have a language model and users can choose the language at registration form, but so far this does not affect the language of the site. Today we worked all day to ensure that when a user selects a language, the language of the site changes dynamically. Tomorrow we will continue working on the same issue.
Then one of us went to the country, so tomorrow we will work remotely :)
July 25, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 25, 2017 21:22 UTC
- spent most of our day reading the docs about Django middlewares
- discussed different ways we can make users choose their language
- learned more about how JClub works
- wrote a rough draft of our big blog post
- clean up the draft of the post
- try to implement some of the ideas we had today and figure out which one works better
July 24, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 24, 2017 21:24 UTC
Can't believe it's already week 4 of our summer of code.
We've been quite productive today. We've met with our coach Ildar and learned a lot about Django middlewares and how we can use them for our purposes. We even wrote our first middleware! Besides that, we've talked to our mentor and other coach Katya about how the project is going and how it's supposed to work for users, and we spent some time on writing our blog post.
Tomorrow we plan to finish the post and work some more on middlewares.
July 21, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 21, 2017 15:55 UTC
Ta-dam! The third week is coming to the end.
- had our bi-weekly call with mentor and supervisor
- solved the questions accumulated during the week
- learned new details about the project.
- started writing our first blog post :)
- learned more about different access levels in admin panel
Summer in Moscow presents more surprises х) (Thanks for the photo @ryzhusha)
July 20, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 20, 2017 15:59 UTC
- finalized our master plan for the project
- added 'language' option to user registration form
- added 'language' attribute to all the required entities
- have our bi-weekly call with mentor and supervisor
- start writing our big blog post
July 19, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 19, 2017 18:31 UTC
Today we finally added the language model to communities, hooray! The work is going well and we are even ahead of schedule :)
Tomorrow we are going to make a list of questions before talking with our mentor and start working on displaying the language model for users!
July 18, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 18, 2017 15:00 UTC
Today we've been working all day on adding language model to pages. We've managed to finish the task, and we're happy to see how working on the project gets easier each day, our tasks become clearer to us as we understand more and more about Django and our project.
Tomorrow we'll add different languages to communities and hopefully we'll close this big issue we've been working on for a week now.
July 17, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 17, 2017 15:34 UTC
Hello world! The third week is here!
- finished working on a language model!
- connected language model with users model
- started working on communities and pages
- continue working on communities and pages :)
July 14, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 14, 2017 16:24 UTC
- did minor changes to the language model
- added a language attribute to the user entity
- forked repo
- did our first commit, and second, and third, and...
- resolved all the merge conflicts
It was a very productive week for us, can't wait to get back to coding next week!
July 13, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 13, 2017 21:02 UTC
Today is the day we finally wrote some code to solve our first issue, and it worked!
So now we have a Django app for adding and switching languages from the admin panel, and we have a model for those languages.
Tomorrow we will make some minor changes to the model and commit it to bitbucket. Also we are planning to have a call with our supervisor and, hopefully, coaches.
July 12, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 12, 2017 15:07 UTC
- Had breakfast with a local data science community. It was an interesting experience. We've talked about our project and discussed cyber-security.
- At a meeting with the coach, we divided the tasks into smaller steps. Prioritized tasks. Together we understood the structure of the project and tried to add our first model.
- Tried to add a language model to the project.
- Continue to work on models.
- Fork the project and make our first commit!!!
July 11, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 11, 2017 21:31 UTC
Today we've had a breakthrough — we were finally able to run the project locally on both our computers. The first thing we did is we played around with admin panel and tried to change its language. We soon realized that we need to dive deeper into Django documentation, so the rest of our day was spent on reading the docs. Today it was finally hot and sunny in Moscow, so we worked from a beautiful park.
Tomorrow we will meet for breakfast with our coach and the local data science community, and then we'll go through the code together and try to figure out what parts are relevant for solving our first issue.
July 10, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 10, 2017 15:55 UTC
Yay, second week!
Today we finally managed to run the project locally on one of our computers. Not on both, but it's still a big step — we were fighting dependency issues all previous week, so it's nice to see them defeated. :)
Tomorrow we will run again through bitbucket issues and finalize our big plan for the next months. We'll also start adding features to the website.
July 07, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 7, 2017 16:59 UTC
- had a call with Kate (our coach) and discussed our progress and plans. It was really helpful!
- tested the platform
- had a look at the dependency diagram of the project
Today Raham (our mentor) did issues for our project, and it became much clearer what must be done :) So today we started to make a big plan for all three months and have already done an outline of the plan for the first month (hurray!)
On Monday we will again try to run the project locally..
July 06, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 6, 2017 16:54 UTC
Today we've spent all day learning how to implement i18n with Django standard tools, and had some progress with translating our test projects to Russian. Still no luck running the project locally, but we're getting there. Today we've also finally found a perfect workplace for us, hope we will be even more productive working from here.
Tomorrow we will:
- have a call whttps://teams.railsgirlssummerofcode.org/students/status_updates#main-paneith our mentor Kate
- try to run a project locally with her help
- learn more about implementing i18n, maybe try to add some code to our project (if we'll finally be able to run it)
July 05, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 5, 2017 16:06 UTC
- had breakfast with our coach and discussed some Django tools for Internationalization
- finished Django tutorial
- had a kick-off call with all members of our team and discussed our future
- make a schedule for all 3 months of work
- pick a localization tool and try to implement it
- run the project locally
July 04, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 4, 2017 16:49 UTC
Yesterday we fell under heavy rain and Sasha caught a cold, so today we had to work separately, but we were always in touch) Tomorrow we will be together again, hurray!
- did Django tutorial
- started getting familiar with project code
- finish with dependencies, run the project locally
- have a team-wide kick-off call! ^^
July 03, 2017
Team Alexa (JoopeA Club)  — at July 3, 2017 16:16 UTC
Hi there from Sasha and Sasha! :)
- talked to our supervisor
- set up our workflow, slack chats, trello tasks, bitbucket accounts, etc.
- refreshed our knowledge of Django
- made some progress on setting up environment, installing dependencies, and so on
- had a really good time despite the apocalyptic weather in Moscow :)
- finish with dependencies, run the project locally
- familiarize ourselves with the code
- have a group-wide call and discuss the plan in details