Team RubyCats 
- Starts On
- July 01, 2016
- Finishes On
- September 30, 2016
- Last Activity
- September 30, 2016
Two happy wannabe RoR devs working on The Teams App
September 30, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 30, 2016 19:21 UTC
Yesterday evening we had an ending call with our team. It was so weird to summarize our RGSoC. It just started and it's the end...? We haven't completed many things we wanted to. It seemed like it's not possible that 3 months already passed by.
We have a feeling of emptiness now. It's like waking up from a wonderful dream and coming back to ordinary life :((
We would like the RGSoC to last forever. We are going to continue working on Teams App after the RGSoC.
September 28, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 28, 2016 09:22 UTC
Tusday was bitter sweet.
Happy to be home, unhappy everything what was so amazing for lat 3 months is about to end.
Tried to keep up with daily routine with sick babies(Iza) and with being sick themselves(Kinga).
We worked on our blogposts from conferences, Codemotion and Euruko.
Learned about rails at() method and different methods like: reversed_merge, in?, wrap
Team RubyCats  — at September 28, 2016 08:59 UTC
On thursday we took a 11 am flight to Sofia.
Euruko here we come.
After we reached our hotel, we've met with Adam Niedzielski, who was so kind to share his accomodation with us for free!
We started Euruko with pre-launch party.
We will cover our Euruko days in a blogpost :)
On monday we took a flight back to Warsaw, very sad that Euruko is over and that Summer of code is ending.
We've met a lot of people, especially => Team Joda & Matz!
September 19, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 19, 2016 19:51 UTC
RubyCats made plans for Euruko 2016.
Prepared the lightning talk:
- thought what we would like to talk about and how, concidering Team Joda also have a presentation.
- wrote the text of speech, made some rehearsals in Google Campus, rewrote and practiced again
- had to shorten the LT to fit in 5 min range
- defined the content of the slides
Stress started to kick in.
Prepared for the journey to Sofia.
September 15, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 15, 2016 15:31 UTC
- updating WIP #514 branch (git pull --rebase)
- took a closer look at a cool contribution to the Teams App, that was merged by RGSOC team the previous day -
comments to status updates. Wishing RubyCats could make something so cool :)
- researched for issue #413 second part - email validation on update, started working on it
- taking part in Codemotion Warsaw 2016 conference
September 13, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 13, 2016 06:35 UTC
Slowing down a bit, dealing with some health issues
- deleting helper
Status updates helper
- exctracting its content into the view again -> if statement
form-with-previewin sendPreview function, respective views for projects and status updates
-Ruby training time with Codingame
-coaching session about how to understand logic of the app, new discoveries on mailing flow and its aspects which need to be concerned in the announcements' code
-continuation of exploring the whole mailing process from the very beginning
-research about issues met when doing above mentioned, incl. enum, delegate, calbacks
September 09, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 9, 2016 18:12 UTC
-had a call with Coach :)
-learned more about scopes and its usage, experimented with applying to the code
-thought about the plan of catching up working hours due to participating in 2 conferences this month and made some plans for our LT at EuRuKo
-thought we'd love this summer last forever. We don't want it to be over. RGSoC Orga Team do something!!! ;)
September 08, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 8, 2016 15:59 UTC
- #534: finishing touches:
status updates helperwith
links to status updates methodthat took care of the
Backbutton and changes in the respective templates
- pull & rebase the feature branch
- WIP PR #535 to #534 issue
- tricky Codewars kata (modulo & remainder)
-#462: consulting the code with mentors, new approach to database queries
- adding new scope for_students with methods like include?, select, find in Mailing model with help from a coach
- analyzing the mailing flow
September 07, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 7, 2016 18:26 UTC
- controller test for preview / #534
- unified names of attributes in sendPreview script and respective templates for projects and status updates /#534
- adjusted preview partial and preview method in a controller for status updates (deleted merging of "published at") /#534
- tried to get rid of
Backbutton in preview for edit status update, ended up with not very pretty
ifcondition with helper method in a slim template /#534
- tried to rearrange existing partials and templates to avoid using if & helper method in a view (not finished) /#534
- daily Codewars kata
- Prepared for pushing WiP PR
September 06, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 6, 2016 15:34 UTC
A day to remember, finally managed to wrap up WiP 514!
- Pushed changes to WiP #514
- After receiving feedback made changes and pushed them again and.... merged! So happy!
- Proposed student update preview function #534
- Practiced some Codewars katas
- Continued trying to solve the final part of #462 /listing proper announcements/
September 05, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 5, 2016 17:17 UTC
Day with Coach Basia.
- discussed some issues concerning problem with WIP #514
- discussed issues concerning not proposed yet, but done over the weekend for practice - student updates preview function
- amazing Codewars session with Basia, doing and discussing different katas. learned about methods like cycle, tr, char, chr, rotate
- learning about iterating through arrays and trying to implement to announcements code in #462
September 02, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at September 2, 2016 08:40 UTC
Google Campus day with our coach Basia.
- a lot of good & uplifting advises from our wonderful Basia
- continued wip #514, pushed first fix
- trying to future-proof new method in User model, so it could take more than one attribute and return them - to use in User controller & Student factory
- continued RSpec course, near completion
- continued with issue #462
Team RubyCats  — at September 2, 2016 08:21 UTC
going back to immutable github handle issue wip #514
- creating a method in a User model, that would return github handle
- changes in Student factory and User controller method 'restricted user params' accordingly
continued Rspec course
session with our coach Monika, concerning issue #462
research on scopes with attributes, joins
August 30, 2016
August 29, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 29, 2016 17:45 UTC
Life begins after 40 ;)
-reapproaching WIP PR immutable github handle; reading about Factory Girl
-learning session with CodeSchool on testing & Factory Girl, Ruby and Rails in general, SQL
-converting database query from accessible_by to the SQL one and supplementing views for announcements in #462
Team RubyCats  — at August 29, 2016 09:13 UTC
Suprisingly fruitful day!
-two /!/ coaching sessions
-getting directed to the right track with #462 and getting closer to have the announcements in students dashboard. Yes yes yes!
-some fixes for WIP PR #530
-commiting final changes do WIP PR => merged and closed, yay!
-research for students update preview
-going back to tests for immutable github handle
August 24, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 24, 2016 07:26 UTC
-testing - learning, reading (about things like controller, request and feature tests
-managed to put together a working controller test for preview
-going through rails basics - routing ans some helpers
-fighting the overwhelming feeling of coding despair.
August 22, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 22, 2016 21:15 UTC
Canoeing and eating delicious food /sushi, ramen and miso soup/ for #rgsocdayoff!
For our day off we were canoeing near Warsaw. We went to the starting point by feet through the forest. Such a calming experience! We rent a kayak from 'Kajaki Piaseczno' and were sailing from Zalesie Dolne to Konstancin-Jeziorna. It was a great adventure for us - being close to the nature, seeing some animals incl. amazingly beautiful dragonflies, overcoming obstacles. Quite a good training of teamwork ;) As a bonus, along our way we got some free mud and seaweed masks without visiting SPA ;) We also became a water taxi for a grasshopper and... a spider /aaaaa!!!!!/! You'll never guess what was the most suprising animal we saw in the bush on the river banks. A CAT!!! A kitten, precisely. He/she was watching us with a great interest, but was to shy to come to us. He/she disappeared in the bushes when we tried to row to him/her.
This adventure was even more wonderful after we read the 'Kajaki Piaseczno' story at their site. As they wrote:
Having been the resident of Piaseczno, in cooperation with RZGW in Warsaw, I decided to clean the river Jeziorka. As some of the locals say, it hasn’t been cleaned for over 25 years. Many of those living by the river have expressed their gratitude to me. Currently I’m trying to get some support from the county of Piaseczno and Konstancin Jeziorna because the river has become a forgotten treasure of the region. My dream is to enliven this picturesque meandering river. I’d love the place t host some events and happenings. Therefore, I, myself, have taken up the fascinating initiative of establishing kayaking route on the 14-kilometre-long part of the river. I bought a number of kayaks designed especially for such routes. The project is still developing. Currently we have 37 double kayaks and 2 single ones.
Moving, isn't it?
After severals hours of canoeing we became really hungry, so we ordered a sushi set and miso and ramen soups from Kinga's favourite sushi restaurant. Now it's also one of Iza's favourite sushi restaurants :D
August 16, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 16, 2016 18:54 UTC
Tuesday is the new Monday
- some new lines of code for #462 and #437
- implementing new way to keep local repo and origin /incl. branches/ up to date with upstream
- choosing and booking hotel and flights for EuRuKo
- some research for our free Friday plans
Team RubyCats  — at August 16, 2016 08:17 UTC
The end of the bitter-sweet week.
- learning a better way to keep local repo up to date with upstream,
- trying to solve #462,
- session with one of the coaches,
- #437 - cleaning up views (getting more comfortable with Slim) and actions in controller, extracting script to separate .js file,
- getting to know coffeescript syntax.
August 11, 2016
August 10, 2016
August 09, 2016
August 05, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 5, 2016 07:21 UTC
The day we left our brains at home
* daily routine, like standups and short coaching session
* learning about pomodoro technique
* #462: moving "Status Updates" link from main menu bar to Students Dashboard, determining the next small steps to make within this ticket, thinking about the logic of this part of app
learning about link_to and ternary operator
* reading and researching around tab preview in #437
August 04, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 4, 2016 05:34 UTC
- establishing workflow of our team
- working on preview in tab - issue 437, tabs added, issue still under construction
- learning about redirect_to method and routing
- #462 making a student dashboard controller and view, adding a link to that to menu bar
1. our own stand-ups face to face at about 9:30
- a little background on what we do
- what I did yesterday
- what am I going to do today
- what problems have I encountered, in what ways I've tried to solve them, do I have more ideas of solving it
- do I have any question for coaches?
- feedback, if I need it
2. "written stand ups" on Slack for our coaches
3. extra "rubber duck" meetings if needed
4. we have own tasks, issues, we write them down on Trello
5. "conscious action": establishing aims for every day, pomodoro, an hour sprints, summarizing them, checking if we have more ideas for particular task /or why we don't/, what kind of knowledge do we lack, learning sth new everyday
6. doing summaries at the end of the day /what we did and learned/
7. everyday communication with mentor, even just to say what we're working on
8. last 15 min of working time planned for writing daily log /alternately: one day Kinga, one day Iza/
9. making maximum use the time available to us by coaches
10. 'setting appointments' with coaches at the specific times/dates
11. 'focused learning: we always have a ticket to work on and subordinate our learning process to it
12. implementing ways of communicating with client to our communication with mentors
13. in case of being stuck we look for a way to break a deadlock: asking coaches/mentors, making wip pr. Doing another task while waiting for feedback.
14. asking for help in dividing a task into several smaller tasks if needed
August 02, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 2, 2016 21:10 UTC
Today we were:
- cleaning up in 437 solution
- after showing the progress on 437 issue, researching for a way to vamp up the solution
- discussing #462 features
- choosing the starting point for #462
- preparing to monthly call
- monthly call with supervisor and coaches!
Have a good second month of RGSoC!
August 01, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at August 1, 2016 17:38 UTC
*continue creating preview on the same page, but still the condition in the controller is a bit off
*attempt to make a single page preview
*reading about routing and digging for answers on multiple problems
*summarizing received specification for student dashboard
*asking other teams on how they perceive the features
*analyzing the supervisor dashboard as it's a pattern for student dashboard
July 29, 2016
July 28, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 28, 2016 19:03 UTC
Success! And exploration of new lands
*finally finding solution for #413! Every tests passed! Yeah! Green is such a beautiful color!
*exploring next tasks to do /#462 and #437/, discussing #462 features on Github, exploring railsgirlssummerofcode.org and teams.railsgirlssummerofcode.org to prepare for working on #462, making a mind map for #462
*choosing convenient dates for the next monthly call with supervisor, coaches and mentors
July 27, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 27, 2016 19:01 UTC
We've had a retrospection session with our coach Basia. we summarized everything since Summer of Code have started. Focused on what was good and how to fix our flaws. Set new rules and improved existing ones.
Made wip pr and asked for advise on #413 issue
Researched for additional issue, found #437
Tired some changes to #413 to fix failing tests
Reading Rails Guides
Researching issue #462
And found this good luck charm:
July 26, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 26, 2016 19:34 UTC
Today we had a long meeting with our coach on failing tests.
We continued on looking for parts of code, which may be influenced by added validation and/or may influence failing tests.
As well as on complementing knowledge gaps.
We asked questions on Github about next issue to deal with. Can't wait to start :)
July 25, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 25, 2016 21:57 UTC
Oh, again this "T" thing ;)
We spent most of the day experimenting with testing, going through FactoryGirl issues and Rspec characteristics comparing to other testing approaches, as well as its configuration. We also did some more general learning on Ruby and Rails.
We were happy to see our blogpost published.
In the evening we had weekly call with our supervisor, this time with accompaniment of ATS music, as Kinga just left the training hall ;)
So zaghareet for RubyCats and RGSoC ;)
July 22, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 22, 2016 17:34 UTC
*having long fight with installing Ubuntu alongside Windows /dual boot/, won thanks to our wonderful coach. Many obstacles occured, but fortunately we made it. Then setting the env on newly installed Ubuntu with all necessary / useful tools and plugins. Bye bye wirtual machine. It's much better now.
*testing, testing, testing... Oh, did we mention testing?
July 21, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 21, 2016 22:58 UTC
*Coaching session about Rspec, commiting good practices and how to organize our work and a way of approaching issues
* A LOT of ups and downs. Prepared for PR, but forgot about running ALL tests.... and guess what - they failed.
*Dealing with failing tests on 413, fixed one.
*Trying to understand and use Rspec syntax
*Dealing with technical issues with partitioning
July 20, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 20, 2016 19:02 UTC
*reading new things about Github markdown
*learning about horizontal lists
*consulting software issues with coaches
*planned upcoming meetings with coaches
*learning about using px and % values
*proposing new solution to #455 and making PR after acceptance (finally merged!!! :))))))))
Team RubyCats  — at July 20, 2016 08:06 UTC
*Research, research and testing different ways of fixing issues. Searching again and trying to read/understand why it does not work the way we would like it to work ;p
*We were getting friendly with debugging.
*Setting up again due to crashed vbox.
*Now starting with linux partition, some things still need to be installed.
*Taking part in discussion on better solution to issue /it needs to be completely done again/
*Writing e-mail to other members of working group from Rails Girls past year's workshop to ask them what's up and if they continued learning programming
July 18, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 18, 2016 19:53 UTC
Researching, learning, trying
*researching for a new approach to #413
*rethinking of #455
*reading about rspec
*creating small toy app for practicing validations, simple tests
*learning Ruby syntax and good practices
*weekly call with supervisor
July 15, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 15, 2016 20:43 UTC
Wait... errr... I'd like to place an order
- started with stand up
- chose a conference we would like to go to. We read carefully info like agendas / list of speakers /... The choice was not easy.
- proposed some small improvements to the app
- were learning about rspec
- were provided valuable advice by our coach which inspired us to think about implementing some order and improvements to our methodology of work
We noticed that we need to concentrate more on learning for some time. We identified some thematic blocks we need to master. It would lead us to more efficient work.
July 14, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 14, 2016 19:58 UTC
Dashing through the code
In a one horse open sleigh
Our 10th day consisted of:
*starting with stand up
*making PR to issue #455
*learning some Github and Slack markdown
*adding more and more info and sources to our Trello
*getting familiar with pry, installing and basic commands, watching tutorials
*practicing shortcuts on shortcutfoo
*attempting to fix tests on user model due to added validation in #413
July 13, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 13, 2016 21:27 UTC
*We spent a day with one of our coaches discussing our problems, trying to establish new approach to our learning process, doing some styling with Sass, writing methods for practice, going through issues we're stuck on.
*Customized our text editors (Sublime) & practiced shortcuts.
*Kick-off party with our coaches & Team KaUlah.
Thank you all for support, we needed it :)
July 12, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 12, 2016 21:40 UTC
Slowly, but forwards
*Practicing git commands and git workflow while working with the repo
*Learning Slim & quick overview on linked technologies like Tilt & Temple
*Trying to solve Conferences styling issue
*Taking part in Devheroes Conference
*Finally finding solution for #455?
Team RubyCats  — at July 12, 2016 09:20 UTC
Still stuck between a rock and a hard place.
*Working on issue #413 and digging through code - trying out few approaches to one issue
*Stopping a lot of times for more in-depth learning
*Continue working on Sass and conference issues
*Doing some set-up stuff. Again and again.
*Finding some more knowledge sources
*Making final arrangements of postponed Warsaw kick-off party. Successfully! :)
*Having weekly call with supervisor
*Overwhelming the chaos and crisis ;)
July 09, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 9, 2016 07:41 UTC
A bit stuck between a rock and a hard place
*We had a meeting with one of our coaches - covered some issues and questions we've had
*Made a PR concerning issue #455, that also involved adding some contexts in one of the tests
*Learned about testing
*While at issue #413, learned more about callbacks
*Digging through the code, more digging and digging again :)
July 07, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 7, 2016 15:33 UTC
Slowly, but forward.
What we've done:
*Finished issue #484, PR
*Practicing & reading more about migrations and db commands
*solving re-set-up issues
*learning workflow and git
*working on issue #455 (finding possible bugs, getting near to firts PR in this issue - rspec to be written before)
July 06, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 6, 2016 20:32 UTC
We've had a good day.
What we've done:
*While preparing for first pull request :
*learning and practicing git workflow
*practicing git commands
*Did first PR , issue 487!
*Started working on issue 484, almost ready for PR!
*Chose next issues to work on
*Continued learning about migrations
*Repeated some Rails Syntax
Note to self: be brave, don't restrain yourself out of fear that you will fail.
July 05, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 5, 2016 21:22 UTC
Today's motto: it doesn't always go the way you planned.
* Reading ActiveRecord Migrations documentation
* Practicing changing/adding/deleting and using commands supported by Rake like reset, rollback, etc. We did changes in conferences table, on tickets column, setting the default value to 0 - in order to check, if it would prevent from crashing on tickets_left method while creating new conference.
* Practicing Git
Hopefully, a few steps closer to first PR.
July 04, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 4, 2016 20:59 UTC
Today we've continued going through the code, making lots of comments, notes and tons of learning.
* We solved set-up problems that occurred on Friday.
* While attempting to fix issue 413 and 455 we tried to identify most important things to learn, in order to properly understand the issues.
* Then we stopped for in-depth learning about modules/mixins and fought a short while with Sass.
* We went through concerns & helpers in the App.
* We updated our board on Trello /to dos, knowledge base, useful links,etc./
* We met our coaches to keep them up-to-date
Time flew by so fast and there's still so much to do, so much to learn ;p
July 01, 2016
Team RubyCats  — at July 1, 2016 21:42 UTC
This was a very busy day. But definitely, the most beautiful day in a long time for us.
Thank you RGSoC. Thank you all, that helped & inspired us to pursue our dream.
* Meeting with the company & coaches
* Setting up the environment
* Getting familiar with the code base
* Going through issues
* Planning next week's work
And eating amazing muffins Kinga made ;p