|Mentor||Katrina Owen (kytrinyx)|
|Suitable for Beginners?||yes|
|Applications (1st Choice)||6 (5 submitted | 1 in-progress)|
|Applications (2nd Choice)||3 (3 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Code of Conduct||/projects/74-exercism-io|
Exercism is a web platform for leveling up programming skills. There are three main groups of users:
- code newbies--who want to eventually program professionally
- polyglots--experienced developers who are learning a new language
- artisans--experienced programmers who are focusing on the craft of programming itself
The project provides small programming problems in 30 languages. You download the problem, solve it locally, and then submit it to the site for feedback.
The codebase is pretty chaotic--it's a prototype, it's still very much in beta, and we've not at all focused on code quality, just on experimenting with what the project should be and what it is becoming.
Tasks And Features
The focus for the next year is going to be two things:
- Improve the onboarding process (make it easier to understand what exercism is, how it can benefit people, how to get started, and how to use it).
- Improve the conversations. This means first of all figuring out how to make sure that everyone who submits code actually gets feedback, and second of all how to improve the workflow/UX of the existing conversation features.
Another option would be to improve rikki- http://exercism.io/rikki
There are lots of things that could be worked on, at many different skill levels. Lots of little fixes both on the backend and the frontend, and huge performance issues that could be explored and addressed.
You must be logged in to comment on this project.
Laura RGSoC, Tuesday, January 12, 10:09 UTC
Katrina, this is amazing — thank you for the submission! We loved having exercism on board last year and we're very happy to have you take part in RGSoC this year again. :)