|Mentor||Jan-Christoph Borchardt (jancborchardt)|
|Suitable for Beginners?||yes|
|Applications (1st Choice)||0 (0 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Applications (2nd Choice)||0 (0 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Code of Conduct||https://nextcloud.com/code-of-conduct/|
|License||GNU Affero General Public License v3 (AGPL-3.0)|
Nextcloud is an open source system for file sync & sharing, calendar, contacts etc. Very similar to what Dropbox or Google Suite are used for. It consists of a server component with apps for Files, Contacts, Calendar, Mail etc., a desktop client, and mobile apps for Android and iOS.
If you are interested in this project and have any project-specific questions, you can use our #nextcloud-dev IRC channel
We also can offer additional coaches with specific expertise:
- Camila Ayres (Github & IRC camilasan): desktop client and co-mentor
- John Molakvoae (Github & IRC skjnldsv): Contacts app, frontend, Vue.js
- Roeland Jago Douma (Github & IRC rullzer): desktop client, PHP
- Maxence Lange (Github @daita, IRC Cult): PHP
- Tobias Kaminsky (Github @tobiasKaminsky, IRC TobiasK): Android app
- Ivan Sein (Github & IRC Ivansss): Talk app server & Talk app on iOS
- Mario Danic (Github @mario, IRC pygi): Talk app on Android
- Joas Schilling (Github & IRC nickvergessen): Talk app server
Server apps are already easy to contribute to with basic HTML+CSS skills. We use SCSS but it’s very easy to get into if you know CSS.
- Server core with Files app https://github.com/nextcloud/server (mostly jQuery)
- Voice/video chat https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed (Backbone & Marionette, using WebRTC through the simplewebrtc.js library)
- Contacts app https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts (Angular.js)
- Calendar app https://github.com/nextcloud/calendar (Angular.js, fullcalendar.js)
- Mail app https://github.com/nextcloud/mail (Backbone & Marionette, Horde IMAP libraries)
The mobile apps:
And other parts like:
- the documentation https://github.com/nextcloud/documentation
- even our nextcloud.com website: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud.com (using Wordpress)
The best place to start is our IRC channel #nextcloud-dev: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#freenode_#nextcloud-dev:matrix.org – our community of contributors hangs out there and will be able to help you with any questions.
And then to get started with contributing, go through the »good first issues« linked below. Best decide on one of the apps and focus on that. There’s also specific IRC channels for the apps, like #nextcloud-mail, #nextcloud-contacts, #nextcloud-talk and #nextcloud-mobile. :)
Tasks And Features
We use the "good first issue" tag so you can find small bugs and enhancements to start out with :) https://github.com/nextcloud/server/labels/good%20first%20issue
Here are some examples you could tackle:
- Mail app: Ctrl-S for triggering draft save https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/634
- Mail app: Print stylesheet https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/579
- Mail app: »Retry« button on error views https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/314
- Talk app: Notify user when talking while being muted https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed/issues/285
- Good First Issues for the Android app: https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22
Of course anything that you are missing or see as an issue and would like to work on! Either pick something from the issue tracker or propose something yourself. :)
You must be logged in to comment on this project.
Pragya Sethi, Monday, June 3, 15:58 UTC
Hi. My name is Pragya. Me and my RGSoC partner Akshala wish to contribute to NextCloud. We were able to join the freenode IRC channel given on the https://nextcloud.com/.
But when we tried joining NextCloud's IRC channel on Riot linked on this page, we got the following error message - You were kicked from #nextcloud-dev by @appservice-irc:matrix.org Reason: IRC error on #nextcloud-dev: err_needreggednick. Can you please guide us on how we proceed?
Jan-Christoph Borchardt, Friday, May 10, 07:58 UTC
Hi Anumeha and jievince! :) The best way to start out is to take a look at the "good first issues" as described in the "Tasks and features" section: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/labels/good%20first%20issue
Setup and introduction is described in the "Project setup" section. And join us in our chat channel #nextcloud-dev: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#freenode_#nextcloud-dev:matrix.org – our community of contributors hangs out there and will be able to help you with any questions. :)
jievince, Tuesday, May 7, 15:55 UTC
Hi, I am interest in this project? How can I start?
@Anumeha, maybe we can form a team.
Anumeha Lakra, Friday, May 3, 14:08 UTC
I would like to work on this project
Laura RGSoC, Thursday, May 2, 09:23 UTC
Hi Jan, so happy to see Nextcloud submitted again this year! I'm happy to accept it as a project again ✨We'll be publishing the full list of projects sometime this week, and I'll be in touch after that.