|Mentor||Jessica Leach (JessicaML)|
|Suitable for Beginners?||yes|
|Tags||HTML CSS React Rails Animation Edtech Science|
|Applications (1st Choice)||0 (0 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Applications (2nd Choice)||0 (0 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Code of Conduct||https://github.com/JessicaML/ScienceMotion-Static/blob/master/code-of-coduct.md|
|License||MIT license (MIT)|
ScienceMotion is a free, not-for-profit open source application to learn the concepts of high-school level science through animation. Scientific theories are about how shapes and forces move in space, so we believe animation is the best way to explain them.
- To create something as fun as MTV or Sesame Street to look at, that teaches the - concepts of high-school level science.
- To get users from all walks of life to view and enjoy our animations.
- To help high school students reach their goals with scientific understanding and knowledge.
Live site: www.sciencemotions.com
- Experience with GIT and the command line
- Experience or willingness to learn/ use Rails
- Experience with the Model View Controller model
- Interest in implementing unit, integration, and acceptance tests
- Interest in accessibility in web development and performance optimisation
- Interest in design, science, education, front-end animation
In the end, a passion for the project and a desire to build and learn are the most important things, so I would very much encourage applicants who have less experience but more excitement about the project!
Tasks And Features
We have a lot of interesting features that are available to work on - these tasks for include backend and frontend work, but we can have a conversation and tailor tasks to participants’ interests and experience level.
Do you want to help make engaging designs and animations for lessons? If you want to gain experience in React we’d love your help with moving to React frontend. We also need help with Ruby on Rails and testing with RSpec.
Does open-sourced, online and interactive education appeal to you? You can help out by:
- Bug-fixing existing lessons
- Working on long-form lessons with a fun tool like Skrollr
- Help us create great content by building lessons from scratch
- What about working with rails? If you’re interested in learning how to build a backend framework, we are in the process of migrating our courses to a rails backend (MVC process):
- Writing unit tests - very important and great experience
- Optimising performance - making our website load faster
You must be logged in to comment on this project.
KarthikaJP, Monday, July 29, 11:15 UTC
Hi Jessica, I am Karthika and would love to contribute towards this project. Please let me know how I should go about it.
Jessica Leach, Monday, May 27, 08:25 UTC
Vidi, Mannandeep, great to hear from you!
Please chose a topic from here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s-CqehOYRcrJmvR3d7WqAs7j7dDJLHuJlcRCXMLvwok/edit#gid=0
Let me know which you want to do and email me at email@example.com
VidhiSeth, Monday, May 27, 07:34 UTC
Hi Jessica! I am Vidhi and I would love to contribute to this project. Could you please guide me on how to go about it?
mannandeep, Monday, May 27, 07:19 UTC
Hey Jessica ,
I am Mannandeep , your project is really interesting and I'd really love to contribute to it .
Please guide me through the process.
Jessica Leach, Sunday, May 12, 07:33 UTC
Thanks for all your interest everyone! Here are guidelines to contributing
- Choose one of the concepts in the list here (you can choose biology, chemistry or physics, just take one which has not been assigned yet) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s-CqehOYRcrJmvR3d7WqAs7j7dDJLHuJlcRCXMLvwok/edit#gid=0
- Tell me which one you have chosen so that I can mark it as 'in progress' and no one else will take it.
- Design a lesson using animation and some interaction from the user (e.g. something moves on mouse movement, hover, scroll)
- There is also a list of web design examples you can use for inspiration https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s-CqehOYRcrJmvR3d7WqAs7j7dDJLHuJlcRCXMLvwok/edit#gid=88152588
- Use fonts and colors from the style guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ylqK2kmtucIEN8i6X8uWU3Rk_j1o2WWpaOcoMIptNZk/edit?usp=sharing
You can make a pull request to either:
https://github.com/JessicaML/ScienceMotion-static (Front end only html, css, js)
https://github.com/JessicaML/ScienceMotions-rails (React & Ruby on Rails)
Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions!
Shagunaawasthi, Thursday, April 25, 22:27 UTC
Hi Jessica, your project is really cool and I would love to contribute to your project.
Laura RGSoC, Wednesday, April 24, 09:45 UTC
I'm so, so happy to see you submit ScienceMotions again and even more happy to officially approve it for our project list 🎉
We'll share the final list next week with all the projects for our community — I'll be in touch but don't hesitate to reach out (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or need anything! <3333
Jessica Leach, Friday, April 19, 10:35 UTC
Hello Meghna! Great to meet you! :D
meghna , Friday, April 19, 09:05 UTC
I am Meghna .I find this project interesting and I want to contribute in this project , can you please guide me to start .
Jessica Leach, Monday, April 8, 16:57 UTC
Hey Urvi! Thanks for the message :)
Please clone and run this repo. Instructions are in the readme.
When you have run it or when you see errors please email me at email@example.com and we can go over how to contribute!
Urvi, Monday, April 8, 16:02 UTC
Hi! I am Urvi. I find this project really interesting and I look forward to working on it. Could you kindly tell me the proceedings?
Jessica Leach, Friday, April 5, 05:58 UTC
Great to meet you Ria and Prangya!
Please clone and run this repo. Instructions are in the readme.
When you have run it or when you see errors please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and e can go over how to contribute! Many thanks!!
prangya244, Thursday, April 4, 12:43 UTC
hello, I am interested to work on this project. How can I start contributing?
Ria Bhatia, Thursday, April 4, 11:53 UTC
Hey, I am interested to be a part of this project. How can I start contributing ?
Jessica Leach, Sunday, March 24, 07:48 UTC
Hi Perside! Email me at email@example.com and we can find a time to chat?
Claude-Kamaha, Saturday, March 23, 23:42 UTC
Hello,I am Claude Kamaha and I will be very happy if I could work on this project,Please could someone guide me to start?
Jessica Leach, Friday, March 1, 15:56 UTC
Hello! Great to hear from you! Shall we have a call to talk about what you'd like to get involved in? Here's a link to the slack channel! https://join.slack.com/t/sciencemotions/shared_invite/enQtNTY2MjIwMjQ5NjM4LWY0MTUzNTRhODYzNzE4Y2NlYWMyYTJmYjMyYmJhNWM4NTM1ZWE3ODY3NDAzYjMwMjJlYWI5ZjhkZDM2YTYzMzM
Perside Rosalie, Friday, March 1, 11:59 UTC
HI, I am Mondjo Perside and I am interested in this project. Could you link me please to some microtasks?