|Mentor||Henry Zhu (hzoo)|
|Suitable for Beginners?||no|
|Applications (1st Choice)||2 (2 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Applications (2nd Choice)||1 (1 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Code of Conduct||https://github.com/babel/babel/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md|
|License||MIT license (MIT)|
When your supported environments don't support certain features natively, it will help you compile it down to a supported version.
For example: if you support an older browser such as Internet Explorer 9, it won't have any of the features in ECMAScript 2016 (ES6), so Babel will transform your code into ES5 which is supported.
- You want to know some ES6+ (you can learn it on the fly).
- It would be useful to have some knowledge of compilers/ASTs.
- It would be super helpful if you've already used Babel on a project or through another tool.
- Having a Github account and knowing how to make pull requests helps (but we can guide you through everything)
FYI: I didn't know any of this when I started but I've had the last 1-2 years to learn as I went!
EDIT: I created a slack channel called #summer-of-code as well to discuss!
I'm based in NYC (so EST) so having a similar timezone is nice, but other mentors cab be around the world so it's not a big deal.
Tasks And Features
There are plenty of issues/bugs/etc to go through as well as plently of stuff to work on for our docs/website.
For long lasting and important tasks:
All the Future Stuff described in The State of Babel blog post such as:
- babel-init command to setup a project
- babel --settings/--debug
- Helping implement various proposals like null prop operator, private fields, decorators.
- Refactor: Moving out parser plugins into separate files
- Writing out codemods for all the plugins (or help convert https://github.com/lebab/lebab to babel preset)
- code optimizations in our output
- better smoke test infrastructure
- improvements to development/publishing with lerna
- improve babel-bot for easier maintenance
- various spec compliancy fixes
You must be logged in to comment on this project.
Laura RGSoC, Wednesday, February 1, 16:46 UTC
Hey Henry, we think this would be a great project for RGSoC. I'm happy to accept your proposal! ✨