|Mentor||Jan-Christoph Borchardt (jancborchardt)|
|Suitable for Beginners?||yes|
|Applications (1st Choice)||6 (6 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Applications (2nd Choice)||1 (1 submitted | 0 in-progress)|
|Code of Conduct||https://nextcloud.com/code-of-conduct/|
|License||GNU Affero General Public License v3 (AGPL-3.0)|
Nextcloud is an open source system for file sync & sharing, calendar, contacts etc. Very similar to what Dropbox or Google Suite are used for. It consists of a server component with apps for Files, Contacts, Calendar, Mail etc., a desktop client, and mobile apps for Android and iOS.
Server apps are already easy to contribute to with basic HTML+CSS skills. We use SCSS but it’s very easy to get into if you know CSS.
- Server core with Files app https://github.com/nextcloud/server (mostly jQuery)
- Voice/video chat https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed (Backbone & Marionette, using WebRTC through the simplewebrtc.js library)
- Calendar app https://github.com/nextcloud/calendar (Angular.js, fullcalendar.js)
- Contacts app https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts (Angular.js)
- Mail app https://github.com/nextcloud/mail (Backbone & Marionette, Horde IMAP libraries)
The mobile apps:
And other parts like:
Tasks And Features
- We have some starter issues https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22starter+issue%22
- New folder: icon-confirm button for mouse users https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/1904
- New folder creation flow: directly descend into new folder https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/1905
- Copying share link not possible on iOS https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/1863
- Password Reset not working when using email address as username https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/954
- Mail app: Design of sidebar broken on Safari & Gnome https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/35
- Mail app: Non-square avatars are stretched https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/26
- Mail app: Message sending experience https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/238
- Gallery app: icon-loading-dark visible when viewing small images https://github.com/nextcloud/gallery/issues/160
- Appstore: Adding and deleting co-maintainers https://github.com/nextcloud/appstore/issues/117
And also some more advanced topics:
- Grid/thumbnail view for the Files app https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/6
- Dedicated locale/region option https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/1781
- Integration with Mattermost https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/3202
- Mail app: Possibility to attach local files https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/251
- Mail app: Add files from Nextcloud as link https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/52
- Mail app: Issues with drafts https://github.com/nextcloud/mail/issues/9
- Contacts app: continue to add headings https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts/pull/23
- Contacts app: Sort by last name https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts/issues/18
Of course anything that you are missing or see as an issue and would like to work on! Either pick something from the issue tracker or propose something yourself. :)
You must be logged in to comment on this project.
Lalanga Ariyasinghe, Wednesday, March 8, 11:38 UTC
This is an valuable project for me and my teammate. We are working on the features development now. We would like to contribute for this project further more. Hope your help and guidance for next steps.
Jan-Christoph Borchardt, Tuesday, March 7, 11:27 UTC
Hey Janakshi, the best way to check out the code is by looking at some of the starter issues, as mentioned in the »Tasks« section above: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22starter+issue%22 :)
Janakshi Dulanga, Sunday, March 5, 19:07 UTC
This is an interesting project and me and my teammate would like to contribute to this project. Can you guide us on how to proceed further?
Jan-Christoph Borchardt, Tuesday, January 31, 17:41 UTC
Hey Laura, thank you for the note! I updated the section and hope it’s better now. :)
Laura RGSoC, Thursday, January 26, 10:29 UTC
Hey Jan-Christoph, thank you for your submission! We'd be happy to accept Nextcloud as a project for RGSoC 2017. Before we do so, I'd like to ask you if you could clean up the “Project's requirements” section a little bit to have a bit more information regarding what you expect from your team. I understand that nexcloud has a ton of different parts in different languages and that it's a difficult feat, but at least giving an idea of the sort of level or knowledge you expect would be great and incredibly helpful to all the applicants. If you have any questions about that, you can also drop us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!