Displaying activities 1 - 25 of 62 in total
September 27, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 27, 2018 20:51 UTC
RGSoC is coming to end! it is unbelievable that today was the last weekly call with our supervisor Ramon, was great chatting with him. We shared about what we have been working on and most important Life After The Summer.
We also worked on some of the requested changes on our prs.
September 26, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 26, 2018 19:13 UTC
Today we were able to work on six issues that involved database constraints for validations which involved presence validation of:
- Case title
We also finished writing tests for the bug on case update with invalid summary attributes
September 25, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 25, 2018 20:28 UTC
We worked on Meta tag setup, we read on how meta tags are generated and opened a pr on the same.
We faced few challenges on failing tests, tried to fix some of the tests but one was hard to figure out, waiting for review from our coach as we fix the tests
September 24, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 24, 2018 19:18 UTC
Today we focused on back end stuff.We were working on bugs to do with the update action where , some fields that are not supposed to be blank can be updated blank. We also wrote tests to confirm that this bug was captured.
- We also updated the pull request on User Interface and updating the branch with master , which were reviews given to us by our mentor.
- We continued reading and practicing on the RSpec book
September 21, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 21, 2018 20:47 UTC
We did something on user interface, removing the GETNEWS LETTER from home page and placing it at the header section as instructed on the issue.
While working on the issue position of the other buttons on the header section was affected we had to read more on CSS div class, pr on the same is done and waiting to be reviewed.
Worked on the elasticsearch error
September 19, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 19, 2018 19:21 UTC
Managed to find out why some email previews were not properly rendering. The issue was on elastic search , which was a bit weird because for some of the views it was working.
In the process we learnt a lot a bout elastic search and how to fix issues concerning elastic search.
- Spent the afternoon discussing the rspec testing book.
- We are still waiting on the reviews for the pull requests we have opened then we can proceed.
September 18, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 18, 2018 20:10 UTC
- updated the model to include friendly-id slugs
- Drafted blog post
September 17, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 17, 2018 19:39 UTC
Based on the reviews we were given on the pull requests that we had opened, we were able to do the following:
- Render the proper status codes on the create action and also changed the redirects to render.
- Add optional attributes to the sorting service object using the
- Mailer previews still has issues with elastic search
- Looping though null case objects raises an error
- Learnt and used gem public activity to track all the activities in a model
September 15, 2018
September 13, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 13, 2018 20:51 UTC
Some of our yesterdays pr were merged that was great!!
- We started with the requested changes from our coach, all corrected and prs ready for merge
- We had a call with Kuldeep Ruby on Rails Developer who took us through controller actions and the interaction with the forms.
- We also looked at Rspec testing, we did a one on one coding session on the same.
September 12, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 12, 2018 21:17 UTC
We worked on the following issues today:
- Use proper status codes in create actions
- Remove capitalization of agency jursidiction type
- Update guidelines in footer
- We also read on control structures. It was interesting to note that we could use a comma in place of or when naming different variables
September 11, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 11, 2018 20:53 UTC
Today we were able to fix Rachael's pr that has been pending for over a month now hopefully we get a positive review from our coach
Through it we have been able to learn about:
- Friendly id
- Wring rspec test
- Doing a 301 redirect
Generally we have learnt to do research, google has been a great friend. Finally, to never give up
We also opened 4 prs on refactoring. all are ready for review
September 10, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 10, 2018 19:33 UTC
About the weekend
-We had our usual biweekly Ruby on Rails meet up. During the meet up we went through chapter 5 of Michael Hartl's book, which involved filling out the layout. This was basically dealing with views and partials.
- We helped Dan with one of the issues which was how to return the correct status for successful request.
- Based on the reviews given by our mentor, We looked at assertrouting, assertrecognizes and assert_gererates. and completed pr on setting instance variables
- Read on difference between public, private, protected and singleton method.
- Started storming on the content for second blog
September 07, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 7, 2018 20:55 UTC
We went through feature spec tutorial. we were able to update the feature specs when user updates case title then the case is searched using the old title.
- We also looked at how slug work and how it should be updated when case attributes are updated
- Did a some refactoring, on removing conditional functionality that checks if the case overview is present
- Planned on weekend meet-up where we will be doing Ruby elements essentials to Rails and Open Source Summit that is coming up next month.
September 06, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 6, 2018 20:03 UTC
We started out by updating the reviews requested on adding optional parameters to service objects. For the arguments we used keyword arguments. Then updated all instances of the service object and the tests too.
- Refactored case controller
- Updated the application view to acccount for undo and redo links. However this is still a work in progress as we are still working on the failing tests. This happens when we try to update the rails 'flash' on redo and undo differently from the other flashes.
- We spent the morning learning on Modules, the prepend and the include method and how they are mixed-in into classes
September 05, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 5, 2018 19:55 UTC
Yesterdays pr were all merged!!
We opened three more pr today:
- Added parameter for sorting service object.
- Replaced instances of makeundolink comments with a flash message
- Added a link to contribution guide in the header section
What we learnt.
- We looked at header section styling, doing it practically and now we can build header section from scratch placing each item in right position.
- How to sort objects
September 04, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 4, 2018 19:54 UTC
Based on the review given to us by our mentor we were able update the following pull requests:
- Create a null object class for Cases that handles blank cases or cases that are not versioned. We had issues with
uninitialized constant NullObjects::Casewhich came to realize that it is because directories in the app folder are considered root directories and therefore cannot be used for name spacing as explained here
- Added migration for slug on State. We then used it to find States which is more friendly to a user instead of using id to find a state.
- Put versions controller in Case module.
- We have also opened three pull requests setting instance variables, we are waiting on our mentor to review them
- We also finished our pending pr that needed some additional information on adding content on how to create and update agency in ebwiki contribution guidelines
September 03, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at September 3, 2018 20:32 UTC
About the Weekend
Coaching at Girls Get Geeky was great. We helped newbies build their first Rails app and did a scaffold on ideas. We also took them through the MVC architecture and how it works.
- Fixed a review requested on making factories dynamic
- Worked on making cases controller with modules, by having versions controller as one of its sub module. We also set the same on the routes to ensure that proper each route is matched to the correct controller and action.
- Looked at rules governing a rescue clause and how it works, rescuing exceptions. The pr on that was also merged today.
- Looked in deep how to do a 301 redirect if an old id was used to find a record, the code is great but the test are still not working, yet to find the reason behind that.
What we learnt
- Today we read on the law of the demeter which in short would be summarized as.."only use one dot". Very many chains in method calls are discouraged
August 31, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at August 31, 2018 17:30 UTC
- Today we did set up and tried two exercises at exercism which will help us grow our Ruby skills.
- We are now on our way to Kisumu where we will be coaches at Girls Get Geeky happening over the weekend. It is about 8 hours drive from Nairobi.
August 30, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at August 30, 2018 20:06 UTC
Have come across the annoying "undefined method nil NilClass" error. I assume the answer will probably yes. Well today we learnt how to handle the error using Rails' Null Object pattern. After reading a couple of blogs, we were able to understand how it works and opened a pr on the same. We are waiting for review from our mentor before moving forward.
- Removed deprecation warnings in Rails 5 by making all factories to be dynamic.
- Re-wrote the blog to include both of in the story.
- Read about single responsibility class to back up the talk we watched yesterday on how to break monolithic apps
August 29, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at August 29, 2018 20:59 UTC
Today we finally managed to fix an Rspec issue that has been pending and failing for about three weeks yeeeey. :tada
- Worked on making factories dynamic and also use gem Faker to generate random names.
- Learnt on namespacing in routes while working on removing dynamic action from routes
- Continued watching videos for Euroko Conf. Today we watched one by Kirsteen on how to break monolithic apps.
August 28, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at August 28, 2018 20:59 UTC
- Today we spent the better part of the day learning and practing Rspec tests. We did practice on model tests using shoulda matchers to shorten tests. We also wrote controller tests.
- We worked on cleaning and refactoring code.
- Started watching the you tube on Euroko Conference. We did the lightning talks and Rails Anti-patterns - How to not design your databse. Here is the reference.
- Build a body for our blog.
August 27, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at August 27, 2018 20:28 UTC
Today we worked on email previewing using RSpec. We managed to preview two mailers but we still have two pending. Issue is with case being called on the mailer subjects. We have tried a few hacks but each was failing with different failures. We are however looking into it to see how we could fix it.
- We had a hangout with our mentor where we had our weekly call to catch up on our progress.
- We joined a hangout with some developers where we went through different ways of refactoring views. We settled on refactoring the code in the helpers.
- We learnt how to use gem rswag, which is used to generate beautiful documentation for APIs and their end points using RSpec integration tests.
August 24, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at August 24, 2018 20:53 UTC
- We made requested changes on migration
- We embarked to our book challenge reading RSpec 3, discussed chapter 1 and 2
- We reviewed @danuluma pr on refactoring which had some RSpec errors, we were not able to fix the error but we planned to check that tomorrow after our weekly Rails Girls Nairobi
August 23, 2018
Team Akaringular (EBWiki)  — at August 23, 2018 20:47 UTC
- We happy to say that the extra contributors we introduced to the app are still doing great
- Today we had a call with @kamalogudah our coach on unsolved prs, also helped him set up the app on his machine.
- We looked at how to rename values in postgres by running a migration
- We were informed by @vaishali that our blog post still needs to be updated, she is yet to give full information on that. Purposing to do the changes tomorrow