ActivitiesAtom Feed

Displaying activities 126 - 150 of 4301 in total

September 13, 2018

  • Day #57

    Team Brazilian housewives coding (Public Lab) [2018] — at September 13, 2018 04:29 UTC

    Today we worked on the Using in the search service methods, adding limit and distinct options to the queries.

    We also are cleaning the DocResult model in order to use the API results on the /search controller. They do exactly the same, but the controller expects objects and the SearchService returns a DocResult. Our coaches are helping us with this, we are studying how to use a Ruby Decorator to divide those results return type.


September 12, 2018

  • Day 51

    Team Akaringular (EBWiki) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 21:17 UTC

    We worked on the following issues today:
    - Use proper status codes in create actions
    - Remove capitalization of agency jursidiction type
    - Update guidelines in footer
    - We also read on control structures. It was interesting to note that we could use a comma in place of or when naming different variables

  • Day 52 - ProgNet and CSS and Blog

    Team GirlsCode MK (Bahmni) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 20:41 UTC


    Attended ProgNet conference. Tagged #ProgNet on twitter. Got to chat to lots of programmers, socialise and gather information not just technically but also attitudes to different technologies and development of software. Talks I attended -

        @ Udi Dahan - Own the future - talked about the future of software and also the history.   
         @ Luce Carter - Zero to mobile hero - intro to xamarin and visual studio team services - this was interesting to see as a comparison to react native and how quickly it was to create an app.  a fantastic example that she referred to was health care software app which is a mobile chest xray, and a skin cancer prediction using ai app.   She also introduced me to azure devops continuous integration which was great as I had a reference point using Travis CI with our project.  
          @ Rabeb Othmani - Combining the power of bots & Microsoft Azure to build the apps of the future - apart from her talk she taught me how to maintain composure when her laptop with her slides, demo and code had a blue screen of death 5 mins into her talk.  She smiled, was honest and had a sense of humour.  All whilst rebooting her machine and getting another laptop prepped as a back up if her laptop didn't recover. 
             @Rachel Appel - Build Real-Time High-Performing Software with ASP.NET Core - This was very relevant to the project that I am working on as it was all about http calls, issues and seeing both sides of the api - server and client.  I was introduced to 
             @  Willow Rendle - from scratch to unity 3d - learning to code by making games - This was a great talk by a 12 year old girl that was sharing her programming journey from scratch, hopscotch and now Unity 3d.  She did a live demo, showed a project she had worked on and was very funny.  Great inspiration for women coders!
               @ Mete Atamel - google home meets containers on google cloud.  This was another good talk about technologies I didn't even know about.  Again I was listening to not just his content of his talk but how he introduced his talk, he gave very clear expectations and how his machine was going to simulate a google home device for performance reasons.  He also had two great infographics that were very easy to understand the technologies emphasising the importance of powerful slides.

    The closing talk was a panel in the style of "have I got new for you". This was really funny and great stories related to technology. My favourite was a history of commitment messages for github. It made me think of some of the messages I have done.


    Looking at Jest Test for Search form, easy test, does it render search input component and a button. Need to look at how to test fetch api requests and when their is a response the state of the search form is updated with the data. Coach that I spoke to is going to help with this.

    Continue to look at CSS refactoring and the implications of breaking apart the index.css with inherited styling.

    Blog of conference started, have emailed RGSoC as to where to put this blog. I looked a medium and signing up as a writer. So as well as doing talks, look at writing more as I want to share what I have learnt to a wider audience.

    Second blog..gathering ideas of how to present what we have learnt in a fun but informative way.

    TO DO

    SVG inline styling for the search icon so that this can be a child of the button, along with the text so that they can be styled independently.

    Waiting for the UI design of the table to display the data results from the Fetch API. So until we get this review the libraries of react tables.,, and

    Look for duplicate code that can be refactored.

  • Day-55

    Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 18:43 UTC

    We are so happy today. PR with 103 comments merged!!!!!
    Finally we are working on rebasing the second PR which has a large number of merge conflicts.

  • Day 52

    Team Rubies (if me - mental health communication app) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 18:39 UTC

    We went through our work and organized all the remaining tasks. Need to make some changes in the existing PRs. Documentation for a few features need to be added.
    We continued working on our 'Report and Ban feature' PR. Had to fix a few I18n key issues.

  • Day 53

    Team $we init (Probot: build your own GitHub app(s)) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 18:37 UTC

    We continued with writing tests, exhaustively testing both bots locally, gathering feedback from people in our local circle on both performance and code quality.
    We are also writing our blog simultaneously.
    We have our midsemester exams beginning from tomorrow :/ (Need all the good luck in the universe)

  • Day 51

    Team Barcelona Duo (Exercism) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 17:08 UTC

    The anatomy of a great pull request

    We spent the day working on issue#29. We had a meeting with our coach Maikha this morning to brainstorm how to break this issue into smaller components. We are learning that having the capacity to break a problem into smaller pieces is an important skill that you need to cultivate and refine to be a good developer.

    We spent the morning trying to understand how actions written in the controller are used to render data on to a view. In the afternoon we had a session with our coach Jorge to review what we learned in the morning. After our meeting with Jorge, we realized that in order to render data on to a view, we need to understand how to retrieve objects from the database using ActiveRecord. Tomorrow we will spend some time looking at ActiveRecord's finder methods and we will also look for hints to see how some of these finder methods are already implemented in the codebase.

    We received some excellent feedback from our mentor Katrina on a PR that we recently submitted. We wanted to share a few of the points she made with the whole community because they are important points that we all need to keep in mind.

    • Make it easy for people to review your PR.
    • If you submit a PR with hundreds of lines of code, chances are the maintainer will push your PR to the bottom of the pile. If your PR is large, a good tip is to break it up into smaller pieces that can be submitted independently.
    • Make sure that you provide all of the relevant context that is needed for your PR. Be meticulous with providing links to previous commits, adding links to relevant documentation, and providing the context that is necessary for the maintainer to understand the feature you are trying to add, or the problem you are trying to fix. Often times we assume that people have the relevant context, but in open source projects, with hundreds of contributors we need to make sure that our steps are clearly outlined. A maintainer needs to know the purpose of the pull request, the problem that is being solved, and the steps that you took to solve the issue.
    • All of these steps take an extra 5 minutes, but taking the time will make a big difference for the maintainer and for the entire community that is contributing to the project.

    We also wanted to share a video that Katrina shared with us on the anatomy of a great pull request. Getting your PR merged into an open source project is really hard. We have talked to people who have told us that they worked on a feature for days that never got implemented. This video outlines tips that you need to keep in mind so that your PR has the chance of getting merged. It helps you think about the things you need to consider when making a change, and it gives insight into the thought process that a maintainer goes through when accepting a change. It's really worth watching.

  • Day 51: Blue beautiful Chicken Popcorn

    Team Popcorn (Nextcloud) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 16:08 UTC

    Today's Progress:
    - Arati was out of the office today
    - Jessica worked partly on the blog post, checked the App Mantainers work on the Date picker and corrected her work on the avatar in the list. I also had a call with our coach Markus to update him to what we have been doing.

    Again another day thinking about what we have achieved and how little time is left ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Today I spent more time reading code and figuring out how it works than I did writing code, which felt refreshingly good to do!

  • Day 68

    DV Team (LivingStyleGuide) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 13:44 UTC


    • Working on blogpost for RgSoc. to finish tomorrow.


    • PR gulp plugin and waiting for help on the testing
    • Working on the issue #41

  • Day 46 (Sept 11, 2017)

    Team DelSquared [2018] — at September 12, 2018 11:32 UTC

    Hi All!

    We couldn't make much progress today :(
    Our midsems are approaching and we have a few deadlines and quizzes on our plate. A lot of time today also went into arranging for the visa requirements. We plan to travel to GoLab, to be held in Florence, Italy.

    Till we meet again,

  • Day 45 (Sept 10, 2017)

    Team DelSquared [2018] — at September 12, 2018 11:29 UTC

    Hi All!

    As advised by Nick, we started recreating a few examples of Moddable SDK. We've already installed and configured it on our systems. We're currently looking at examples for the ESP32.

    Till we meet again,

  • Day 44 (Sept 7, 2017)

    Team DelSquared [2018] — at September 12, 2018 11:22 UTC

    Hi All!

    We have a few changes to make in one of our PRs. We looked into that. Our emphasis was on understanding usage examples of I2C protocol through Moddable, as discussed in the meeting yesterday.

    Till we meet again,

  • ๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ•๐ŸŒฝ๐ŸŒถ๐Ÿฅ’๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ…potatoCode work day

    Team potatoCode (stretchly - break time reminder app) [2018] — at September 12, 2018 08:53 UTC

    Team call yesterday

    We worked on the stats issue and the update wallpaper in breaks. With the stats in particular we're figuring out how to show the data that is inside the database, so how we can fetch that and show it inside the electron browser window. We made progress on this, although it's not yet solved. Actually with these features we both encountered the same, electron has a different way of to render stuff inside the browser. Also with the wallpaper, still not there because there needs to be send a window and on the otherside in the JavaScript a ipcrenderer will fetch that to gather what needs to be shown. We do now understand it better, but it's not yet solved.

    To be continued ..
    Team potatoCode

September 11, 2018

  • Day 51 - CSS, API, React Table Libaries

    Team GirlsCode MK (Bahmni) [2018] — at September 11, 2018 21:08 UTC


    Met with Bahmni mentor to review current story and progress. Shared screen on zoom to show code and talk through reasoning. Ivo then made a small list of changes and kindly emailed his notes, he is very methodical and great mentor when learning.

    Added a legend to the Search Form and put a border around the input and button to separate in preparation for displaying the data.

    Created fake data on another branch to understand how this data can be manipulated.

    Met with coach to discuss REST API, Testing, CSS. Explained to coach and shared screen on zoom to show our current progress of our app. This is good practice and although I am familiar with the app it is helping me to understand it better by explaining and answering questions.

    He explained about- encodeURIComponent("v=bob&name=g") encoding query params so that if a person has special characters in their name it would still be able to return the relevant data. This may become necessary when we are testing on names in their local area.

    Our search form doesn't have any tests at the moment, so discussed with coach different testing options from snapshot to using He is going to put together some information so that we can build upon and create for our app.

    CSS classnames - looked at names and changing them to be more specific so that they don't get reused inadvertently for example rather than just button calling it search-button.

    Consistency consistency consistency when making changes to the Navbar although there are several ways to create the links, keep to one way.

    My feeling today and learning is that I have a greater appreciation of people coding CSS. It is an art. I talked with our Bahmni mentor and he expressed how people need to see both sides of development back and front so that people have an appreciation of each other and although different everybody has their skill.


    Index.CSS needs to be organised and different CSS files created and grouped together per component. This will make it clearer what are global CSS and component classes.

    Work on the visual side of user interface with particular attention to flex wrap when the screen resizes, positioning of SVG files in buttons.

    TO DO

    Waiting for the UI design of the table to display the data results from the Fetch API. So until we get this review the libraries of react tables.,, and

    Another story waiting for analysis in Jira which is to connect our app with the existing Bahmni system!

    Look for duplicate code especially on button logic and see if this can be extracted into a generic component.

  • Day - 54

    Team 101 Days of Summer (Servo) [2018] — at September 11, 2018 20:58 UTC

    Some more borrow errors resolved today (for reacting to env changes PR). We learnt that the borrow error can simply be resolved by putting a { } enclosure instead of cloning all the time.
    A new PR for relevant mutations has been sent.
    We further plan to rebase both the remaining PR's after the first one and get the merged asap!

  • Day 50

    Team Akaringular (EBWiki) [2018] — at September 11, 2018 20:53 UTC

    Today we were able to fix Rachael's pr that has been pending for over a month now hopefully we get a positive review from our coach
    Through it we have been able to learn about:
    - Friendly id
    - Wring rspec test
    - Routes
    - Doing a 301 redirect
    Generally we have learnt to do research, google has been a great friend. Finally, to never give up
    We also opened 4 prs on refactoring. all are ready for review

  • Day 52

    Team $we init (Probot: build your own GitHub app(s)) [2018] — at September 11, 2018 17:35 UTC

    We wrote some tests for our bot. We are relatively new with JS testing and are hence going a little slow.
    We continued to work on our blogs and documentations.
    We also are looking for travel funds to attend the OSS conf so had a discussion regarding the same with our org.